Gas is a convenient and cost-effective power option for many homeowners. You may use a combination of
electricity and gas to heat your home and run your appliances. Unfortunately, gas lines can become a serious
health hazard if they develop leaks.
Luckily, you can protect your family from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning by taking the following
1. Determine If You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector
If you primarily use electricity in your home, you may be at relatively little risk for carbon monoxide
gas exposure. But regardless of your main fuel source, you may still need to install a carbon monoxide
detector. Experts recommend detectors in any home with:
- A backup generator
- An attached garage
- An oil or gas furnace
- Gas appliances, such as oven ranges
- Space heaters
You may need multiple detectors if you have several gas appliances or a home with multiple stories. An
indoor air quality expert can help you determine the correct number and placement, as we’ll discuss in the
2. Consult With an Indoor Air Quality Expert
Schedule an appointment for an indoor air quality expert to walk through your home and assess how many
detectors are needed and where they should be placed.
Additionally, this professional can provide you with high-quality detectors and precision installation.
Not all carbon monoxide detectors provide the same level of protection. It’s important to purchase reputable
products from a trusted manufacturer to give your family the best possible protection.
3. Learn the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide gas is undetectable until it begins to cause symptoms-and detectors that can sense the
gas’ presence are key in helping you detect a carbon monoxide leak. To minimize the potential harm done by a
carbon monoxide leak, know the symptoms of exposure.
The first symptoms to appear are usually:
- Headache and dizziness
- Difficulty breathing
- Feelings of tiredness and fatigue
Visit the HELP Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Drains page on “Symptoms
and Management of Carbon Monoxide
Poisoning” for a full list of symptoms.
If you notice any combination of these symptoms, move to an area with fresh air. If the symptoms persist
for any significant period of time, seek emergency medical care.
4. Maintain Your Gas Appliances Appropriately
In most cases, gas appliances can be used safely as long as they are properly maintained. Have your gas
appliances inspected annually and repair any issues as soon as they occur.
Keep your gas systems clean and in good working order. Be sure to include your chimney and flue in your
Additionally, check your carbon monoxide detector batteries every six months. If your detector is wired
into your home’s electrical system, consider installing a battery backup to ensure that your family is
protected in the case of a power outage.
5. Avoid Dangerous Practices
In addition to carbon monoxide exposure caused by appliance problems, some cases of exposure happen due to
user error. Before using a new gas appliance, familiarize yourself with the owner’s manual and the controls.
Do not let children or guests who don’t have similar appliances use your gas appliances without help and
Avoid the following unsafe practices:
- Keeping any generators outdoors
- Lighting a fire without opening the damper
- Only using your gas appliances for their intended purpose
- Running your car inside a closed attached garage
- Using a grill inside your home or attached garage
When using any equipment that could create carbon monoxide gas, check that you have adequate ventilation.
Follow these guidelines to ensure that you can enjoy the efficiency of your gas power without worrying
about your health or safety.